The English (elementary/A2) test evaluates candidates’ English skills at the A2 level of the CEFR framework. It will help you hire employees who can communicate about simple, routine tasks that require basic literacy and direct exchange of information.
Grammar & vocabulary
Simple sentence composition
Any roles that require a basic (elementary) use of English.
An elementary knowledge of English at the A2 level of the CEFR framework provides the ability to understand and use frequently used expressions around topics such as employment, family, local geography, and shopping. Candidates who have this level of English are able to communicate through simple and direct exchange of information and describe familiar topics and matters of immediate need in simple terms. This test will help you identify candidates who need to speak and understand elementary English for position in manufacturing and other industrial areas.
This English (elementary/A2) test evaluates candidates in basic English vocabulary and grammar, as well as simple sentence composition. It also assesses candidates’ reading and listening comprehension skills through simple sentences.
Candidates who do well on this test use basic sentence patterns in English to communicate information in everyday situations. They can make themselves understood, even if though they make some mistakes. They have the English literacy required to read and understand signs on the street and at the workplace and to be able to respond to answer questions and respond to simple statements.
A native of California, U.S.A. and a holder of a Master’s degree in Education, Jan has recently retired as Professor of English and Multi-Media at a small women’s university in Japan after an extensive teaching career of twenty-five years. Jan has also worked as an editor and copyeditor for academic articles, novels, children’s books, and many other types of projects. Jan currently lives in Japan.
TestGorilla’s tests are created by subject matter experts. We assess potential subject-matter experts based on their knowledge, ability, and reputation. Before being published, each test is peer-reviewed by another expert, then calibrated using hundreds of test takers with relevant experience in the subject. Our feedback mechanisms and unique algorithms allow our subject-matter experts to constantly improve their tests.
TestGorilla helps me to assess engineers rapidly. Creating assessments for different positions is easy due to pre-existing templates. You can create an assessment in less than 2 minutes. The interface is intuitive and it’s easy to visualize results per assessment.
VP of Engineering, Mid-Market (51-1000 emp.)
Any tool can have functions—bells and whistles. Not every tool comes armed with staff passionate about making the user experience positive.
The TestGorilla team only offers useful insights to user challenges, they engage in conversation.
For instance, I recently asked a question about a Python test I intended to implement. Instead of receiving “oh, that test would work perfectly for your solution,” or, “at this time we’re thinking about implementing a solution that may or may not…” I received a direct and straightforward answer with additional thoughts to help shape the solution.
I hope that TestGorilla realizes the value proposition in their work is not only the platform but the type of support that’s provided.
For a bit of context—I am a diversity recruiter trying to create a platform that removes bias from the hiring process and encourages the discovery of new and unseen talent.
Chief Talent Connector, Small-Business (50 or fewer emp.)
The English (elementary/A2) test will be included in a PDF report along with the other tests from your assessment. You can easily download and share this report with colleagues and candidates.
An online A2 English test is a pre-employment skills assessment that helps you evaluate your candidate's ability to communicate in English verbally and through writing in business contexts.
It also helps you assess whether applicants can interpret documents and business-related conversations in basic English.
This test is designed to evaluate candidates at the A2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). You can be confident that the results are accurate and endorsed when you test your applicants’ English language skills.
Are you searching for the simplest way to learn if your candidates can speak and share basic ideas with colleagues at the A2 level? You’ve just found the best approach for candidate assessment.
TestGorilla’s experts designed this A2 English test specifically to help you hire English speakers with the right level of aptitude who are capable of meeting the demands of your role.
Elementary English skills are crucial if your company needs to frequently discuss important topics in English. Since your employees must be able to follow critical discussions and participate in work-related dialogues between team members and stakeholders, you’ll need to hire applicants with elementary English skills.
Despite the obvious advantages of hiring candidates with A2-level English skills, you’re likely to face a few difficulties during the hiring process.
What’s the best way to hire a new applicant with elementary English skills without being influenced by unconscious bias? How can you review your applicants’ information written in English without using up too much time during the hiring process? And how do you compare several candidates who all appear to have elementary English skills?
Your best option is to use our A2 English test.
Our A2 English test will help you discover whether your applicants can understand and use common expressions and interpret basic information in English. It will enable you to overcome many of the challenges you could encounter when hiring, giving you the exact results you need to find the most suitable candidate for your open role.
This A2 English test evaluates four subskills candidates require to reach the A2 level in English. You can determine whether your candidates have attained this level by using the test to assess the following subskills.
• Elementary English grammar skills and vocabulary: Use this A2 English test to find out whether your applicants’ can hold their own in a simple conversation or when reading English text at an A2 level. The test will show you whether their grammar knowledge enables them to express themselves and interpret English speakers in basic discussions.
• Ability to compose simple sentences in English: Sentence composition is a critical skill that new hires should have. Use this A2 English test to find out whether your applicants are capable of using simple sentence patterns in writing, responding to important emails, or writing text messages to other employees.
• Elementary English reading comprehension: Can your candidates grasp the essence of a simple email or text message? They will need to read a wide range of English writing in the workplace. Discover whether applicants’ reading comprehension skills are sufficient for your team’s needs with this A2 English test.
• Simple English listening comprehension: Finally, this A2 English test assesses candidates’ ability to understand basic instructions given in English in a business environment.
Use the test to determine whether your applicants’ elementary English skills enable them to understand simple feedback, communicate clearly in introductory meetings, and respond appropriately when listening to conversations in business contexts.
This elementary English test offers various other benefits for hiring. Here are a few more reasons to use this test to enhance your hiring process and find the right professional effortlessly.
• Skip resume screening – replace it with skills testing: If resume screening takes up too much of your time, there’s a better way to assess applicants. Use this elementary English test to determine whether your applicants’ skills meet your role’s demands. It’s faster than sifting through resumes and gives you a better understanding of candidates’ abilities.
• Hire applicants with elementary English skills even if you’re not an expert: If you’re a non-native English speaker and want to assess applicants’ elementary English skills, the expert-crafted A2 English test will help you hire the right candidate. Even if you’re not an English expert, you can choose applicants with the right skills and rest assured their abilities match the requirements of your organization and team.
• Test several skills at once, including soft skills: In addition to the four elementary English subskills, you can assess other types of skills by simply creating an elementary English assessment and including up to four additional skills tests. This enables you to find out about candidates’ soft skills, values, and personalities – all at the same time.
With our A2 English test, you can shorten your recruitment process, reduce hiring costs, and find the best candidate for your organization.
It’s easy to get started with TestGorilla. Just like the 5,800+ businesses such as Publicis Groupe and Bain & Company that trust our 238 expert-built skills tests, you too can assess applicants the easy way. Get to know your candidates – use our A2 English test when hiring.