The right candidate
The right accountant will have more than just accounting and bookkeeping skills. They will also have the following skills:
• Strong written and oral communication: Even though accountants spend most of their time working in books (with numbers), they still need to have good communication skills. They will have to break down complex financial information into easy-to-digest terms.
• Organization and attention to detail: Organizational skills are a must for any accountant out there. They need to be attentive to small details because they’re dealing with finances and regulations. Therefore, a good accountant will be highly organized and will pay attention to the details.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills: Good accountants will have great analytical capabilities. They will work with a lot of financial information and they will need to analyze the data to get valuable business insights. They will also have to apply this knowledge and solve problems on an everyday basis.
• Time management: Great accountants will be aware of the many projects that are happening in the organization and will track all of them. They will keep detailed calendars for each project and track their expenses. On top of that, they must handle their daily to-do lists, so they need great time-management skills to keep up.
• Systems analysis: A good accountant will analyze the company’s finances in their entirety, taking a holistic approach. They will analyze the systems to find bottlenecks and then try to fix them.
• Critical thinking: Good accountants will try to get as much information as possible before making a decision; and to make a correct one, they will have to apply critical-thinking skills.
• Active learning: Laws, rules, and regulations are changing almost on a daily basis, so a great accountant will keep learning new things about their vocation so they stay up-to-speed.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Good accountants will know their way around Microsoft Office tools, especially Microsoft Excel.
But how do you find which applicant is the best suited to the position? With an accounting skills assessment, you can evaluate all your candidates and see who has the best accounting skills. Let’s explain:
How can the accounting skills test help recruiters hire?
Hiring a good accountant means verifying the skills on a candidate’s CV and ensuring that they have all the skills that are needed for succeeding in the job. An accounting skills assessment will help you with that. By giving job applicants a pre-employment test, you can give every candidate an opportunity to showcase their skills, while ensuring that the process remains bias-free.
With TestGorilla’s accounting skills assessment, you will receive results that are fair, objective, and quantifiable (numerical). On top of that, the test is simple and easy to use. so It doesn’t make any difference for the hiring manager if they have 50 or 350 applications for the role, since they can distribute the test with a single click.