The right candidate for the role of social-media manager
For the role of social-media manager, applicants need to have technical social-media skills, such as creating social-media strategies and writing content, but they also need to have the following soft skills:
• Customer-service skills: A social-media manager needs to have a customer-care mindset. They will communicate with current and potential customers online, so they will need to adopt a customer-service mentality, where they are there to engage with customers and serve them by solving their problems.
• Internal and external communication skills: A good social-media manager will have impeccable internal and external communication skills. Internal communication skills are how they will communicate with their peers, colleagues, and managers. They will use external communication skills to represent your company to its audience – potential investors, current customers, visitors, and people who are engaging with the brand for the first time. They need to represent the brand’s values in their messaging and talk with customers like the company would talk with them.
• Creativity: In an age where the average attention span is less than seven seconds, it’s essential for a social-media manager to be creative when writing copy and drawing the attention of the audience. It’s not enough just to have followers; they also need to be engaged with the brand and its messaging, and this is accomplished through creative copy.
• Organizational skills: A social-media manager needs to be organized to cover a company’s social-media channels. They need to know the ins and outs of every platform, know what type of message formats work on which platform, and ensure that they keep the brand’s image consistent. All of this requires good organizational skills, something you must assess when searching for a social-media manager.
• Productivity: The right candidate will have to deal with all social-media tasks in an effective and efficient way. Jumping from one platform to another will require the social-media manager to be productive on each one to accomplish all of their tasks, goals, and objectives.
• Learning mindset: Social media evolves and it evolves fast. So a social-media manager needs to stay on top of their game if they want to reach a wider audience and engage the people following the brand. They can do this in a number of ways, but they need to stay up-to-date and post relevant messages on each platform. Because of this, you will need to find a candidate who has a learning mindset and who won’t stop growing in their role.
• Empathy: Communicating with people online means that a social-media manager needs to apply empathy to understand where people are coming from when they communicate in a certain way. This is one of the essential skills of any social-media manager.
With a social-media test, you can evaluate candidates on their skills in using, managing, and analyzing social-media platforms.