The right candidate
The best candidate for the job isn’t just someone with good coding skills. You’re still hiring somebody to work with other employees in your organization, so you want a candidate who represents culture add, whose values are aligned with the company’s values, and who has a set of soft skills that makes them a pleasure to work with.
With that in mind, here are some traits that would make the perfect C# software developer:
• A learning mindset: Programming languages evolve and change quickly, so any programmer who wants to remain up to date needs a learning mindset. They need to continue learning and updating their knowledge to remain relevant in the market. C# changes, and the software developer working in it needs to change with it.
• Problem-solving skills: A great candidate will have the problem-solving skills necessary to look at any challenge or problem in front of them. They will be solution-oriented, looking at problems from multiple perspectives until they find a way to resolve the issue.
• Communication skills: On top of coding skills, the right candidate will need good communication skills to succeed in their role. Most of the time, they will work in a team with other developers, and they will have to communicate well with them to solve problems effectively. Additionally, they will need to communicate with their manager and with members of any other teams they might work with, such as designers and HR personnel.
• Curiosity: A software developer needs to be curious to be great at what they do. They need to constantly improve their code and ask themselves how to make it more effective and readable. This requires curiosity and the desire to improve.
• Creativity: Coding is a creative process, so the right candidate will need to be creative if they want to succeed in their role.
• Teamwork: The perfect candidate will have to work with other team members, so it will be beneficial if they’re a team player – especially when it comes to joint actions that programmers do, such as pair programming.
But how do you identify these skills in job applicants? One practical solution is a pre-employment assessment like a C# coding test. By evaluating candidates with a C# coding test, you can see who excels in the skills that are crucial for job success. Let’s explain.