This online C coding test assesses a candidate’s ability to program a small algorithm in C, testing their basic programming skills. Using a short and straightforward coding task, this test helps you identify developers with the most essential C skills.
Entry-level developers using C in their technology stack.
This C (coding) test forms part of our Coding: Entry-Level Algorithms test. All entry-level coding languages are now centralized in a single, language-agnostic test to ensure hiring developers is simpler than ever. Offer your candidates a choice of 19+ entry-level coding languages in one test. Explore the latest addition to our programming skills test library.
C is a powerful general-purpose language. Since C is a middle-level language, it offers the flexibility of low-level use cases like working with kernels and drivers but also allows high-level software application development.
Strong foundational knowledge of programming in C is essential for junior programmers. Those candidates are able to hit the ground running and set themselves up for further professional growth.
This test gives candidates 10 minutes of time to complete a straightforward coding task. The code is evaluated against a set of test cases, some of which are available to the candidate to determine if they are on the right track.
This is a great initial screening test that allows you to effectively screen candidates based on essential skills.
We recommend combining coding tests with at least one of or cognitive ability tests evaluating numerical or analytical skills.
Alfred is an experienced software engineer with deep expertise in Python development, data engineering, and cloud solutions architecture. He has built out a cloud native data platform for a $16B hedge fund that systematically ingested TBs/PBs of data to drive quantitative trading strategies.
Alfred is also a certified AWS Solutions Architect and DevOps Engineer at the Professional. In his free time, he enjoys reading about personal psychology and new trends in technology.
TestGorilla’s tests are created by subject matter experts. We assess potential subject-matter experts based on their knowledge, ability, and reputation. Before being published, each test is peer-reviewed by another expert and then calibrated using hundreds of test takers with relevant experience in the subject.
Our feedback mechanisms and unique algorithms allow our subject-matter experts to constantly improve their tests.
TestGorilla helps me to assess engineers rapidly. Creating assessments for different positions is easy due to pre-existing templates. You can create an assessment in less than 2 minutes. The interface is intuitive and it’s easy to visualize results per assessment.
VP of Engineering, Mid-Market (51-1000 emp.)
Any tool can have functions—bells and whistles. Not every tool comes armed with staff passionate about making the user experience positive.
The TestGorilla team only offers useful insights to user challenges, they engage in conversation.
For instance, I recently asked a question about a Python test I intended to implement. Instead of receiving “oh, that test would work perfectly for your solution,” or, “at this time we’re thinking about implementing a solution that may or may not…” I received a direct and straightforward answer with additional thoughts to help shape the solution.
I hope that TestGorilla realizes the value proposition in their work is not only the platform but the type of support that’s provided.
For a bit of context—I am a diversity recruiter trying to create a platform that removes bias from the hiring process and encourages the discovery of new and unseen talent.
Chief Talent Connector, Small-Business (50 or fewer emp.)
Our screening tests identify the best candidates and make your hiring decisions faster, easier, and bias-free.
Building assessments is a breeze with TestGorilla. Get started with these simple steps.
The C (coding): Entry-Level Algorithms test will be included in a PDF report along with the other tests from your assessment. You can easily download and share this report with colleagues and candidates.
As a programming language, C is a popular option because it supports high and low-level languages. It is therefore considered by many developers as a base for other programming languages, seeing it referred to as a mother language.
Another of C’s notable benefits is that it can be used to create many different program types, making it a good general-purpose language. Today, C is used to develop applications, games, and operating systems like Windows. It’s also used in complex programs such as Oracle Database, Git, and Python Interpreter. In each of these programs, C enables the interaction of several entities.
C’s wide use is attributed to its machine independence, meaning that it’s not tied to any particular hardware or system. Thanks to this, developers can write programs that are not constrained to a particular type of computer.
The language’s multi-faceted nature and its many applications mean that programmers proficient in C are always in demand. This can make it difficult for recruiters to find candidates with the required level of proficiency in C.
TestGorilla’s C test can help you find the best fit for the job and recruit expert developers for your company. Let’s explain.
TestGorilla’s pre-employment assessment makes recruiting proficient programmers simple and fast. It takes the guesswork out of hiring and sets you and the candidates up for success.
Best used at the start of your hiring process, pre-employment testing involves evaluating job applicants on hard and soft skills. When assessing candidates, everyone will receive the same test, giving you a clear picture of how their skills compare.
Although you can use the C (Coding) Entry-level Algorithms test on its own, adding more tests to your assessment will give you a better insight into the candidates’ strengths and proficiencies. In a single assessment, you can combine a variety of tests (up to five) that not only cover the job’s technical requirements but also assess candidates’ personalities and culture-add potential.
Using a C test to evaluate candidates’ proficiency is important to make sure they have the right level of technical aptitude for the job, but other skills are also important to the individual’s success. These include:
• Time management: Time management, or the process of planning and managing one’s time, is a crucial skill when deadlines are stringent and timelines are rigid.
• Problem-solving: This skill involves mitigating or removing obstacles that prevent the team or company from achieving its goal. Problem-solving is critical to programming because software developers often encounter code issues that they need to investigate and approach creatively to implement a successful solution.
• Critical thinking: Critical thinking involves analyzing the information available, planning an effective course, and taking action. Applicants with strong critical-thinking abilities can identify the pros and cons of different approaches and use the available data to make the right decision.
• Communication: As a skill, communication determines how individuals exchange ideas and information with others, understand their roles and workplace requirements, and how to go about communicating about projects and task updates.
• Teamwork: Working with others is very commonplace for programmers. From relaying information to project managers and product owners, to working with QAs and other programmers to resolve issues, collaboration through teamwork is important to an individual’s success as a programmer.
To help you evaluate the above skills along with technical skills and personality and culture add, we recommend pre-employment assessments. Let’s see how they work.
A pre-employment assessment is a collection of tests that evaluate job applicants on hard and soft skills. The tests are chosen by the recruiter or hiring manager in alignment with the requirements for the job. This selection of tests is called an assessment.
Once you put together an assessment, we recommend that you send it to job applicants ahead of the interviewing process to help you decide which candidates should move forward to the next stage. The goal of a skills assessment is to help you identify the individuals who have the required skills for the position. Using a C test alongside other tests to evaluate applicants’ skills gives you an unbiased view of individual strengths.
TestGorilla helps you as a recruiter or hiring manager gain in-depth knowledge of individual applicants’ skills without needing to sift through CVs. Pre-employment assessments:
• Help you create a streamlined recruitment process: TestGorilla helps to simplify and speed up your recruitment process by helping you focus only on those applicants who are the most qualified for the position.
• Are easy to use: It only takes a few clicks to sign up and create an assignment from any device. Assessments can be sent to any number of job applicants directly from TestGorilla.
• Are convenient for candidates: Tests like the C test can be taken on any device from anywhere in the world. This means that candidates can take them to an environment that is the most convenient for them without needing to sign up themselves.
• Eliminate the need to screen CVs: TestGorilla removes the lengthy process of reviewing CVs and helps you focus on what matters most: applicants’ skills. Assessments can include custom questions and video replies to help you gain insight into your candidates that a CV won’t provide.
• Integrate with your ATS: You can integrate TestGorilla with selected applicant tracking systems (ATS) to implement a data-driven hiring process. This can help you simplify recruitment, reduce its resource intensiveness, and remove the need to implement additional programs to your process.
With a C test in your recruitment toolkit, you can evaluate all applicants in a process that is simple, streamlined, and bias-free. This C test is best used for entry-level developers using C in their technology stack. The test can help you evaluate candidates on their ability to program a small algorithm in C, testing their basic programming skills.
TestGorilla’s pre-employment C test is a simple and effective way to gain in-depth information about your applicants and see who will be the best fit for the job. Start your recruitment process today and find the best programmers with our C test.