I’m Kim, the Head of Assessments at TestGorilla. We’re a fast-growing HR tech startup that helps teams make better, faster and more objective hiring decisions.
Over the past year, we’ve experienced tremendous growth. More than 7,500 companies have replaced CVs with our assessments to screen candidates in an objective and data-driven way.
As we scale our efforts in 2022 and beyond, we’re looking for a People Data Scientist / Quantitative Psychologist who’s passionate about joining our quest to help people land their dream jobs.
What’s in it for you?
- Helping shape a fast-growing HR tech startup as an early employee
- Fully remote position with bright, motivated, and friendly colleagues around the world
- Competitive salary + share appreciation rights (SARs) commiserate with an early employee
- Flexible hours and vacation
- Paid parental leave
- Remote working budget: €1,000 per year
- Learning and development budget: 3.5% of salary per year
The job in a nutshell
We are looking for open-minded, tech-savvy professionals to assist in the ongoing development of our assessment products. As a People Data Scientist / Quantitative Psychologist, you will work directly with TestGorilla’s core offering: our assessments and test instruments.
You will collaborate with cross-functional teams and interdisciplinary experts around the globe to ensure that our existing and future psychometric and skills-based assessments are robust, fit for purpose, psychometrically sound, empirically grounded, and legally defensible. You will improve and evolve our statistical algorithms and recommendation engine for test reliability, in addition to supporting validation, adverse impact and/or DIF studies. Enhancing and automating relevant tools and methodologies that help develop and maintain reliable, valid, and fair tests will also be a focus.
Bringing both creativity and deep subject matter expertise in psychometric testing, you will help to fine-tune, enhance, scale and accelerate our assessment and test development process. You will also support the expansion into related domains such as exploring new methods and innovations in test development, and ways to generate and capitalize on data-driven insights and analytics.
This is an amazing opportunity to contribute to the innovation and development of talent assessment products within TestGorilla’s portfolio and join the team shaping and creating the future of hiring.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Leading data collection, test and item-level data analysis (classical and IRT), item bank design and analysis, calibration, test scoring and equating, linking, and scaling, standard setting and other relevant psychometric and maintenance activities
- Improving the reliability of our tests using our statistical algorithms, and enhancing these algorithms in collaboration with our software developers
- Contributing to the development of new and enhanced test instruments including cognitive ability, personality and culture, situational judgment, role-specific skills and job skills (e.g. language, software, programming) which may include activities such as:
- analyzing and interpreting quantitative data and qualitative feedback
- defining and building scoring services and analytic methods
- providing display logic, report and design input
- supporting research, job analysis and validation activities
- producing robust technical documentation
- Supporting customized psychometric analyses including validation, adverse impact, differential item functioning (DIF), and item and model fit that ensure compliance with industry standards
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary and international colleagues including Test Development, Product, Engineering and other teams to analyze and solve problems, contribute insights and best practices and ensure our platform offers a bias-free, compliant and accurate experience
- Proactively identifying enhancement and automation opportunities including technical, statistical, analytical, data, scoring, documentation or validation aspects to ensure efficient and streamlined delivery and implementing pragmatic solutions that ensure quality, growth, scalability, and are suitable for a production environment handling high-volumes of data
- Conceptualizing and deploying new approaches, innovations and alternative routes including scoring and assessment insight automation, new test design and modes of administration, and supervised or unsupervised learning models
- Keeping up to date with relevant research and developments, sharing latest thinking and advancements, and providing thought leadership and support internally and externally when needed as a ‘go-to’ expert in your field
Here’s what we are looking for:
- You are inspired by our mission to put one billion people in dream jobs
- You are fully aligned with our values
- You are passionate about digital solutions, HR tech and recruitment trends, are eager to revolutionize tests and assessments, combined with proven psychometric assessments
- You have applied experience in measurement and test theory (classical, IRT, CAT) with knowledge of computer-based test construction and development, databases and item-banking including working with large practical datasets and merging, cleaning and validating large data files
- You have experience in research design and advanced statistical analysis in which you have managed and analyzed both structured and unstructured data and performed validity studies
- You are comfortable using a variety of analytic tools (e.g., Excel, SPSS, SAS, IRT software) and have experience writing syntax/code for data manipulation and statistical analyses using Python, R, or other modern programming languages
- You have experience accessing structured data using MySQL
- You have advanced knowledge of industry trends and best practices in the areas of computer-based testing, job analysis, psychometric assessment, reporting, and data analysis, for high stakes and volume assessment, and screening and hiring purposes
- You have experience summarizing complex technical information and data into compelling stories and communicating to high-level, non-technical audiences
- You are comfortable with and excited by a fast-paced, agile, iterative environment and prefer a degree of ambiguity rather than strict and defined processes
- You are a creative problem-solver, can anticipate needs and proactively work to accomplish future goals, and have a flexible, positive, can-do attitude
- You make empirically driven decisions, and you are not afraid to challenge the industry status quo or best practices
- You are motivated by new challenges, breaking new ground, dealing with complexity, and you are willing to fail fast or try non-traditional approaches
- You have experience successfully delivering in a remote, asynchronous, multicultural work setting and you are comfortable working with a team spread across the globe and in different timezones
- You are comfortable with the ambiguity and pace of iteration of a hyper-growth HR tech startup
We typically expect candidates with PhD-level understanding in psychometrics, quantitative psychology, I-O/business psychology, educational measurement, statistics, data science or a related discipline to have the skills mentioned above.
Bonus points if…
- You have experience working in a SaaS company and a fast-growing startup
- You have operated within a corporate, product design/development, consulting or professional services environment
- You have experience with new and emerging technologies in assessment (e.g. FC-IRT, mobile-first, gamification, AI/ML)
- You have knowledge of EEOC, ADA, GDPR, and other regulatory guidelines and frameworks relevant in our field
At TestGorilla, we envision a world where everyone has their dream job. To achieve this, employers and employees need to have the right information about each other.
We started in 2020 by building a screening platform that enables employers to evaluate candidates in the skills that matter most for success in a role. Our product replaces subjective, incomplete, and often inflated CVs with objective, reliable, and fair test results measuring aptitude, practical job skills, motivation, and culture add.
Improving and expanding this platform is currently our core focus, but it’s only the beginning of our journey to get everyone their dream job. Over time, we will launch more products that support this mission.
We have procured $70m in Series A funding from the venture-capital firms Atomico and Balderton Capital, and our growth is on target to continue exponentially. Chances are you’re familiar with some of our biggest customers, like Sony, PepsiCo, H&M, Deloitte, Bain & Company, Oracle, Revolut, and the UK’s National Health Service.
We work remotely, spread across the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
We don’t offer rainbow glitter unicorns or dog-friendly offices (we literally don’t have an office), but we do offer real people, solid core values, and a product meant to give everyone a fair, unbiased chance at their dream jobs.
Here at TestGorilla, we eat our own dog food. We use our assessment platform to make sure we make the best hiring decisions faster and bias-free.
So if this role sounds like a good fit for you, I’d like you to apply by taking this assessment. This will take about an hour and will focus on your soft and hard skills required to succeed in this role. It’s also a great opportunity for you to get to know our product!
If you’re hired, I’ll do everything I can to help you succeed at TestGorilla and throughout the rest of your career!