I’m Julia, TestGorilla’s Head of Test Content. We’re a fast-growing HR tech startup that helps hiring teams make better hiring decisions faster and bias-free.
Over the last year, we’ve experienced tremendous growth and are accelerating the development of our hiring tests to address the increased demand. And that’s where you come in! We are looking for a developmental editor for hiring tests to join our team and help us reach our goals.
The job in a nutshell
● Work with subject-matter experts (SMEs) from various fields to create pre-employment screening tests.
● Guide SMEs through creating a structure for their test, establish a process with them, provide feedback, and edit their work.
● Analyze feedback and data to further improve tests.
● Contribute test topic ideas and co-create other relevant content, such as interview questions, and hiring assignments (job simulations).
● Join (and help shape) the fast-growing HR tech startup TestGorilla as an early employee.
● €35,000 – €46,000 compensation (€30,000 – €37,500 base + €5,000 – €8,500 max discretionary bonus, based on experience and performance), stock options.
● Remote position with a smart, motivated, and friendly team.
The role in context
Screening tests are at the core of TestGorilla’s product. The value we bring to our customers ultimately depends on the reliability and validity of these tests.
As a test development editor, you will work closely with subject-matter experts (SMEs) to create screening tests and build long-term relationships with them for continuous collaboration and support.
You will work as a “product owner” for the tests you will manage, helping set up subject-matter experts with the right guidelines, templates, and resources to begin working in the right direction. You will give SMEs editing feedback throughout the process to improve the quality of their work, and organize third-party technical reviews to ensure the accuracy, validity and overall quality of the content. You will also work with subject-matter experts on test updates and revisions from our published library.
Initially, this role will involve sourcing SMEs for various tests. Eventually, this part of the process will be taken over by a dedicated recruiter who will provide qualified SME leads to evaluate and hire.
As part of a rapidly growing startup, you’ll also have the opportunity to work on a number of projects and directly contribute to improving our product and offerings.
● Guide the work of SMEs and give them editing feedback for expression, objectivity, and clarity, following best practices in test development.
● Collaborate with SMEs to address feedback from our users and our algorithms to improve tests.
● Recruit highly qualified SMEs to create tests for our platform. (Initially only; recruitment will later be taken over by a dedicated recruiter.)
● Build strong relationships with your SMEs for continuous collaboration and support.
● Manage an area of our test library, making sure its tests are published correctly and are up to date.
●Contribute new test ideas and other hiring material (such as custom screening questions, interview questions, and practical job simulations) to help improve our offerings to customers.
● Contribute to improving our test development tools and processes.
There is no set path to this role, and we’re open to applicants from various backgrounds and experiences.
But in order to succeed in this role, you should:
● Share our passion for helping companies hire the best, easily and without bias.
● Have excellent English writing and editing skills.
● Have worked as an editor in the past (either formally or informally for colleagues), and understand how to guide others to clarify their ideas and improve their writing.
● Have a strong interest in testing, psychometrics, and hiring, and want to learn more about these topics.
● Enjoy researching and learning new things at a deep level.
● Be comfortable working with data and basic statistics.
● Work well with others and manage your collaborators independently.
● Be comfortable working remotely.
● Appreciate the extremely varied needs of a startup.
● Be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a global team.
At TestGorilla, we envision a world where everyone has their dream job. To achieve that, employers and employees need to have the right information about each other.
We started in 2020 by building a screening platform that allows employers to evaluate candidates in the skills that matter most for success in a role. Our product replaces subjective, incomplete, and often inflated CVs with objective, reliable, and fair test results that measure aptitude, practical job skills, culture add, and motivation.
Improving and expanding this platform is our core focus at the moment, but it’s only the beginning of our journey to get everyone their dream job. Over time, we will launch more products that support this mission.
We recently secured $10M in seed funding (see Techcrunch article) on the back of our rapid growth since our commercial launch in July 2020.
We work remotely, spread across the Americas, Europe, and Asia.
What do you think?
Here at TestGorilla, we eat our own dog food. We use our assessment platform to make sure we make the best hiring decisions faster and bias-free. I took one too and I enjoyed it!
So if this role sounds like a good fit for you, I’d like you to take an assessment so we can get a better idea about whether you would fit the role. It’s also a great opportunity for you to get to know our product!
If you’re hired, I’ll do everything I can to help you succeed at TestGorilla and throughout the rest of your career.